Whether you’ve just started driving or you’ve been driving for years, it’s important to brush up on the skills that will help you to avoid auto accidents. While you probably do your best to avoi…Read More
Teen Driver Education
ODOT Approved Driver Education Program for Teens
The ODOT-approved Teen Driver Education course is a nationally recognized program that has been shown to dramatically reduce the likelihood of young drivers being involved in fatal and injury crashes.
In 2014, only 33 of Oregon’s 16-year-old driver education graduates were involved in automobile crashes.
The Oregon DMV grants a Drive Test Waiver to all students who successfully complete an ODOT-approved course offered by Pacific Driver Education. Please note that the student must still take the knowledge test at DMV. Driver education is a three-part course:
1. Classroom Instruction
The ODOT approved program requires that all students complete a minimum of 30 hours of classroom instruction.
2. Behind the Wheel Instruction
Students must participate in six two-hour driving lessons. These are scheduled separately from the classroom instruction and will be held once a week. The lessons will be held on the same day, time and location each week for six weeks, and will begin after the students have had several hours of classroom instruction.
At Pacific Driver Education, we also make every effort to ensure that your student has the same instructor for all of their driving lessons.
3. Parent Involvement
ODOT requires that all students drive with a licensed adult driver for a minimum of five hours of the driver education course.
Free Download: The Oregon Parent Guide to Teen Driving
How it all works
ODOT pays partial tuition for all Oregon students between the ages of 15 and 17. This allows Pacific Driver Education to provide the course to students who meet the following criteria:
- The student must obtain a current Oregon instruction permit at the time of registration.
- The student must complete the course before receiving a driver’s license and before turning 18.
- The student must complete all course work and drive lessons within 90 days of starting the class.
- Pacific Driver Education offers an additional $75 discount if your student qualifies for free and reduced lunches. Please call our office for more information. For students interested in taking the course but not meeting ODOT’s criteria, we offer the program at our full tuition price of $655.