Fleet vehicles make up a big part of the traffic on the roads, whether it’s delivery services, truck drivers, or salesmen who own company cars. What we may not realize is that a part of this traffic…Read More
Fleet Safety Training
Lower the Risk of a Preventable Crash
Custom Designed Fleet Driver Training
All of our instructors are certified by the Oregon DMV and ODOT Transportation Safety Division
One of the biggest challenges cited by commercial fleet managers is driver safety. In particular, reducing preventable crash rates with the associated repair, downtime, and liability costs. For those fleets that are not self-insured, lowering crash rates has a direct impact on lowering insurance costs.
Why Choose PDE
- Our senior staff has over 25 years experience in road safety, and each of our programs has been developed with the benefit of this experience in mind.
- We cater to any size organization and most industries.
- Our programs are tailored to fit your organization’s unique driving needs.
- Our programs can include driver training seminars and practical ‘on-the-road’ sessions.
- Training is completed on site and with company vehicles, so drivers are assessed in familiar surroundings.
- Pacific Driver Education – providing low-risk driver training for experienced drivers. Contact us for our full list of driver training solutions.
We can help your risk management team
In today’s litigious environment, putting employees on the roads in your company’s vehicles represents a major cost and a major risk. Pacific Driver Education can help you manage that risk with professional classroom and in-vehicle training.
We are already working with a variety of corporations in the Portland area and have a team of DMV-certified and ODOT-approved instructors to help your employees improve their safety on the road. Our Fleet driver safety training programs can help you in a variety of ways:
- May reduce your insurance premiums
- Lower the number of preventable crashes
- Improve your business image
- Safer, more polite drivers make your company look great
- Make your Risk Management team very happy
- Improve your ability to get a good night’s sleep
6 Keys to a Fleet Safety Program
An effective fleet safety program must be comprehensive, up-to-date and instituted as a part of your company’s safety culture. It should be thorough, reaching each employee who gets behind the wheel. And the commitment has to start at the top.
- Identify all of your drivers. Businesses may not be aware of the full extent of their non-owned vehicle exposure. You should identify everyone who drives on behalf of your business, even those employees that use personal and/or rented vehicles.
- Leadership support from all levels of management will help assure that the program is used and will succeed.
- Screen and select your drivers carefully. This can help create a reliable, safe team. Without safe drivers, no organization is likely to have a good long-term safety record. Establish clear hiring standards and a thorough screening process for anyone who drives on company business.
- Train and Manage your drivers on a regular ongoing basis. This is essential in helping to ensure that drivers are following fleet safety rules and driving safely. All drivers should have access to information on safe driving strategies and techniques, including instruction in defensive driving.
- Manage crashes when they occur. This will help mitigate costs and help you to understand your exposures and can reduce the potential for future losses.
- Establish written policies and procedures and formalize a plan for vehicle inspection, repair, and maintenance. This can help reduce costly, unexpected breakdowns, and can assist in avoiding crashes due to faulty equipment.
At Pacific Driver Education, we take advantage of our driving risk expertise and extensive experience to help our customers design their fleet safety programs and help protect what is important to their business.
Effective fleet safety programs must be comprehensive, up-to-date and an integral part of your company’s safety culture.
Customized Fleet Training
Fleet vehicle crashes are one the most costly of injury claims for business. The average cost of a loss related to vehicle accidents is about twice the cost of the average workplace injury.
Without a formal fleet safety program, you may be putting the welfare of your employees and company at risk. A generic safety program is better than none. But it is far more effective to specifically design a program for your employees, company and your fleet.
A fleet safety program establishes the policies and procedures that are needed to help ensure a safe work environment. It can also help protect against liability from vehicle accidents.
The road is one of the most dangerous places for your employees, so establishing a formal and ongoing program of screening, testing, inspection and training is essential.
For any company with a fleet of vehicles of any size, a formal fleet safety plan can provide a number of advantages, including improved safety, employee satisfaction and the potential to improve fleet efficiency.